Skip to content
Top 10+ hunting safety tips
- Don’t go alone – hunt with a buddy or hire a guide
- Be alert – Have bear spray and other backup defenses ready
- Gear up – Know your gear and equipment and how to use it. Be sure it’s in proper working order
- Get a license – Always have proper id, licenses, and any other necessary documentation. Take a hunter safety course or a refresher each year.
- Bring a first aid kit – and trauma kit. Get cpr certified
- Only hunt in designated areas for legal game – ask before entering private property
- Wear hunter orange – and know any other regulations for the area
- Unload – Keep firearms unloaded and pointed in a safe direction until time to shoot. Be aware of your target and what’s behind it. Finger off the trigger until ready to shoot!
- No acrobatics – Don’t run, climb, or jump with a loaded weapon
- Be sober – Don’t hunt under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- File a plan – where are you going and when will you return?
- Radio – Have a phone or other communication device in case you need to contact your buddy or emergency services
- Weather – know before you go. Be prepared to spend the night.
- Bring a map and compass – and know how to use them
- Hydrate – drink, eat, and rest regularly to keep your energy up
- Have proper clothing – use layers and stay warm and dry